Thursday, December 01, 2005

One day at a time

How does a long-term pastorate evolve? Literally, "one day at a time!"

I was thinking about this as I waited for my cash at the drive-up teller this afternoon. When I moved to my present church I came with the idea of staying five years or so and then moving on to a more "desirable" congregation (meaning larger, more affluent, more "professional," etc.). So, because I wasn't going to stay for long, I didn't have my name printed on the church stationery. Why make them throw out a lot of outdated sheets? At the house, I kept a lot of our packing boxes, because I just assumed we'd need them soon. And, each year as I compiled the church's annual report, I wondered if it would be my last.

But along the way, one year turned into nearly thirty! There have been times when I've wanted to leave for one reason or another, and times that I tried to leave but it just didn't work out. But for some reason it was hard for me to imagine that I would stay here -- even though the church was doing relatively well. Perhaps it's just that sense that pastors are meant to move around! It wasn't until I turned 50 that it truly occurred to me that I could retire here. I realized that I was at a critical age -- if I wanted to move, that was the time because there's not a big "market" out there for 60-year old pastors! But I didn't want to move! This has been a wonderful place for us -- members who love us and support us, a job I look forward to (just about) every day! Why spoil it all searching for that elusive perfect church? (As someone once told me, "The grass is always greener on the other side, but that's because there's so much manure there!)

So it's been nearly 30 years. But, in reality, it's been about 11,000 days -- one at a time!

No comments: