Tuesday, December 20, 2005

On stress in the ministry 2

So, here it is, the week of Christmas, and I find myself not only with Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services but now with a funeral on Thursday and another on Monday. And a wedding the following Saturday. So much for a relaxing Christmas! Talk about stress.

The interesting thing is that I am not stressed at all! For one thing, I "enjoy" funerals. Of course, I don't enjoy the fact that someone has died, but I find funerals to be a time that I can provide real help to a family in a time of great need. And since my funerals tend to be fairly simple (scripture readings and a brief meditation), they are not difficult for me to put together. For years I have said that I'd rather do a funeral than a wedding any day! Finally, this year I realized why: in a funeral, I am in charge; but in a wedding NO ONE is in charge! (Though the bride, the bride's mother, and assorted other people think they're in charge!)

So it's a busy week for me, but not terribly stressful (except for the wedding, of course! :)

No comments: