Saturday, October 15, 2005

On leading worship

It's Saturday night, and I have just finished going through my sermon. And I can't wait for tomorrow!

I love to lead my people in worship! I know some pastors are so consumed with the details of the service that they are not really able to worship (and I understand how that can be -- and sometimes I do get distracted by my role). But, for the most part, I truly worship with my people and I love it!

Of course, part of that worship experience is to bring them a word from God. And, fresh as I am from encountering that Word myself, I can't wait to pass it along to my folks. I am most effective in my preaching not when I focus on some "sinful" member of my congregation and try to figure out how to convince her to repent, but when I focus on my needy self and explore the text for the word of grace that I need!

I suppose that when Sundays become a burden to me rather than a joy, I'll take that as some sort of sign from God that it's time to move on to a new ministry. Until then I'll look forward to Sundays like a child looks forward to Christmas!

No comments: