Wednesday, November 23, 2005

On Advent sermons

I love the Advent season, but I've learned after 30 years on the job that there's only so much one can say about it. So I freely admit to repeating my Advent/Christmas sermons. I've said in other postings that I don't re-preach old sermons very much, but I make an exception with Advent (and with Good Friday/Easter). Oh, sure, I re-work them a bit, changing topical references, and every three or four years I will work up a new series. But (at least for me) there's not much more that I can say about Christmas that I haven't said somewhere along the line!

Just be careful with stories and memorable illustrations, because people do remember them! Sometimes I'll preface an old story with, "I know I've told you this before. . . ."

One of these years I'll get brave and just call my Advent series, "The Best of . . ."!

No comments: