Sunday, August 21, 2005

Finishing Well

I am preaching through Isaiah and have arrived at the historical section in chapters 36-39. In one of the saddest commentaries on his life, Hezekiah concludes -- reacting to the news that because of his prideful act the Babylonians will defeat Judah -- (39:8): At least "there will be peace and security in my lifetime."

So, I preached on "Finishing Well." How sad that so many live exemplary lives (as Hezekiah had done) only to be undone in their closing years by some act of foolishness. He was on guard against Assyrian power but was done in by Babylonian flattery.

I often reflect on Paul's words to the Corinthians: "...I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." (1 Cor. 9:27) Paul was obsessed with finishing well -- and it was a healthy obsession! And apparently he succeeded. As he writes in 2 Tim. 4:7, "I have fought the good faith, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith."

If I could choose my own epitaph it would be simply, "He Finished Well."

No comments: